Public Accomodations

We work closely with the city, county, state and federal government to improve the public accommodation for transgender, intersex and gender non-conforming, non-binary people to successfully integrate into mainstream society and so to address discrimination and violence. 


Any place that provides goods and services to the gender public is considered a public accommodation governed by California Civil Code 51. This includes bars, restaurants, grocery stores, health clinics, hospitals, health clubs, homeless shelters and most social and economic services. Transgender, intersex and gender non-conforming people face a high amount of discrimination. One of the largest misconceptions by the public is the “86” rule that any business can refuse a person service for any reason. If you feel that you are being targeted with discrimination, you have the right to request the business owner to call the police and take a police report. This limits the business owner from making new reasons to justify their conduct in the future.

Some of our work in the community are the single stall gender neutral bathrooms to make them accessible to all genders when needed.


Recently a federal judge ruled that the Civil Rights Act of 1964 civil protections have been expanded in the word “sex” to also include sexual orientation and gender expression. DOWNLOAD REPORT (PDF)


If you believe you have been discriminated against, you should immediately file a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH).